- Children show evidence of a growing vocabulary and the development of listening and conversational skills.
- They express thoughts , ideas and feelings with increasing confidence and fluency.
- They talk about their experiences , ask questions and follow instructions.
- They sustain attentive listening and respond to stories, nursery rhymes, jingles and songs.
- They begin to show an awareness of rhyme.
- They engage in role play , using appropriate language to express their feelings.
- Children enjoy books and know how to handle them carefully and appropriately .
- They are aware that the printed word has meaning.
- They recognise their own first names.
- They engage in early attempts at writing.